Welcome to the iJourno project. Here is a selection of work created by the iJourno teams across Greater Manchester since January 2005. Each week, groups of young people work with journalist Alison Barton to write, edit and publish their own work. If you would like to take part or would like more information email al_barton1979@yahoo.co.uk

Friday, April 21, 2006

Art: LS Lowry

The Lowry Centre in Salford Quays houses an exhibition of some of the most brilliant historical paintings, from one of Manchester's artists, Lawrence Stephen Lowry.
My interest in Lowry has grown from studying his work during my A-level art course and at school.
The exhibition has the widest collection of Lowry's paintings in the world and includes the famous paintings such as The Man with the Red Eyes and Going to the Match.
I had always dreamt of seeing the latter after seeing it in an art book years ago, and my fascination with it stems from my love of football.
The painting has received a lot of praise, and in my opinion, rightly so. I consider Lowry to be the best artist to represent the chaotic life of Manchester - the way that Lowry achieves this by layers of cramped houses in the distance and crowds of busy stick men and women.
I would recommend this exhibition to anybody, of any age who is interested in the history of Manchester or the work of Lowry.
I believe that his work holds many qualities, and he would have produced work to suit any tastes.
Tameside iJourno group

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home